First Time Visitor?

Be sure to visit Pop Up Lessons/How To Books

to review the basic techniques of pop up making.

Fun and Fresh Books & Crafty Things

Jul 25, 2008

Pop Up Card Tutorial Lesson 15

Using What You Know: X Forms
Time to look at some real cards!

This fish card is an X form card with the glue points shifted toward the center of the card. I had to move the glue points to keep the fish from poking out of the side of the card when it was closed. I could have used a wider card, but I didn't have a wider card!

The "slot" on the coral is a somewhat large cut-out with a V shaped bottom. On the fish the slot is a small notch that nestles into the V.

You can see how the X does not flatten all the way when the card is opened flat, like Sample 5 from Lesson 5.
----- Here is a lovely design by A'Lona at Scrapbook Sensations from a Robert Sabuda pattern.

The two halves of the butterfly form the X. The "slots" are V shaped cuts. The butterfly is attached with tabs slotted through the base card. See Lesson 5, Sample 3.
----- This X-form butterfly is attached with elongated (and visible) tabs. The pattern is here.

-----
This X is a little different in that it does not use a box as its underlying structure, but a V fold.
I modified a pattern by Hiroko for Canon. More about this card on a previous post.
----- How about an X-form that stands by itself? A beautiful card by Sarabande.

----- Can you imagine what happens to an X-form as you shorten the slots? The shorter the slots, the more an X form begins to resemble a flag book.

The accordion base is a series a box attachments!
-----
Can you pick out the Xs? This is half way between a flag book and a pop up. The "flags" are cut from the accordion instead of being glued on.
Design by aiai_paperflicker from a pattern by Marivi.
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting: pop up cards, movable cards, digital crafts and unusual papercrafts.
Pin It

4 comments:

Tonniece said...

These are fabulous. I really love the last one here.

TFS

Mel M. M. M. said...

You are just amazing! I love the fish card. The way you made it with the X is masterful. When I'm feeling better I may have to have another go at pop up. You're such an inspiration! Hope you're having a great weekend, :0)

Mom2my9 said...

Hi Cpeep! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Your comment was hysterical because that is exactly how my mom folds a fitted sheet! Anyway, I love your blog. Those pop-up books are amazing. Have you considered entering my contest? It sounds like you have a lot of know-how! Hope to see you again soon!

Helen said...

I can't believe I missed these pop up cards. I like them all but my favorite one is the pop up fish.