Slotted X with Tab Attachment
In Lesson 11 we made the basic X design--two shapes slotted together and fastened to the base card with a square box pop up mechanism. In Lesson 12 we explored one modification of the box mechanism, the strap. In this lesson we will reduce the attachment to a set of two tabs.
Create Slotted Shapes
As in Lesson 11, create slotted X: Cut 2 identical, symmetrical shapes. Cut slots into the shapes along the line of symmetry, half way down on one, and half way up on the other. Slide shapes together.
Tab AttachmentThe slotted X is attached to the base card with two tabs cut from a square box.
- Make a square box as in Lesson 11: Measure the widest point of the flattened slotted X. Cut a strip of paper 4 times the width of the slotted X plus a little bit at the end for a gluing tab. Mark the quarters and the glue tab, fold and glue together.
- Cut away most of two sides of the box. You now have a strap with a tab on each end and a small V shaped piece. Discard the V shaped piece.
- Trace tab placement onto base card: Open out and flatten the strap. Fold tabs up and back onto the strap. Lay strap on your base card, aligning centers. Lightly trace each end. Mark dots to indicate tab position.
Remove strap and connect dots and line to draw tab box.
- Trace guidelines on front of slotted X: Lay flattened strap across the widest point of the slotted X. At the outer edges of the slotted X mark a short guideline along the top and bottom of the strap.
- Fold square tab ends of the strap back against the remaining long edges of the box. Cut across the end of each tab to create two L shaped double tabs. Discard extra piece (shown at top in picture.)
- Glue L tabs to base card: Spread glue on the squares traced on the base card. Glue tabs to the card as shown with the upright part of the L on the outside, toward the side edges.
Glue slotted X to the tabs: Flatten tabs and slotted X. Spread glue on the tab tops.
Align center line of slotted X with the center fold of the base card. Line up guidelines and side edges of slotted X with tabs. Glue together. Erase guidelines on slotted X.
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting: pop up cards, movable cards, digital crafts and unusual papercrafts.