First Time Visitor?

Be sure to visit Pop Up Lessons/How To Books

to review the basic techniques of pop up making.

Fun and Fresh Books & Craft Supplies

Feb 8, 2008

Extreme Christmas Cards

Where it all began! I made ONE card design a year--an extreme Christmas card--before branching out on this blog.

These are linked to individual pages about each card.

extreme christmas card

1989 Just a picture in someone's front yard Many many years ago, after moving to a new apartment, we sent our first humorous Christmas card, with a picture of ourselves standing in front of an enormous McMansion. Someone else's McMansion. It was so deeply humorous that no one understood it.

extreme christmas card

1990 Yellowstone snowstorm So the next year we were a little more obvious. Except it wasn't obvious to anyone but us that we were standing in a snowstorm.

extreme christmas card

1991 Whale watching By this time our friends and family were starting to get the idea that there was a joke involved, lame as it might be.

extreme christmas card

1992 Peace on earth This was an easy one.

extreme christmas card

1993 Flakes Finally, some people got this one. This was what we looked like when we traveled with all the baby stuff. We did confuse a few people who recognized our front door and wondered why we would be arriving, with all our vacation stuff, at our OWN house.

extreme christmas card

1994 Santa's little helpers Another obvious one, phew.

extreme christmas card

1995 Cherubs This one holds a special place as the first computer generated card. It took forever. Corel's cut-and-paste was so primitive that pasted objects couldn't be moved once placed. It took dozens of tries to get the heads right. And, my computer was so slow that every paste took almost a minute to process.

extreme christmas card

1996 Angels/devils I like the unfolding tree inside.

extreme christmas card

1997 Wallet Oh my gosh, another one that took forever. Every piece is a facsimile made with CorelDraw, not scanned. The challenge was to keep the whole thing flat enough to mail. There's an awesome tutorial for making your own "vintage" letter postcards in Photoshop at Can't Stop Making Things.

extreme christmas card

1998 Estate The puns only work if you've heard of Sew News and Town and Country magazines, and the travel writer Arthur Frommer. Apparently these are not well known cultural icons.

extreme christmas card

1999 Dream vacations The joke here is that all these vacations are a DREAM. With two small children and no money, who goes anywhere? I was really proud of how the background patterns lined up across the page folds.

extreme christmas card

2000 Jacob's ladder Another postage compromise. I would have liked to have made these with three or four flip panels, but the postage would have been a killer.

extreme christmas card

2001 Merry little Christmas My first pop up card! How cool is it that you can find a paper model of your car? All the ads on the envelope are family jokes. Notice Mrs. Claus sleeping and the reindeer kids in the back fighting. The point, of course, was that the Claus family was experiencing our holiday marathon roadtrip while we got to relax and deliver presents.

extreme christmas card

2002 Do it yourself Christmas card What happens when Mom gets a job? No one is home to make Christmas cards. The original concept was to use magnetic paper, but it was too expensive. I don't know how many people bothered to cut out the stickers. We had it on our refrigerator for ages.

extreme christmas card

2003 Turn, turn, turn Oh, I love this one. It's based on a design in one of Joan Irvine's books. There is a tutorial here.

extreme christmas card

2004 Sweets and nuts The design was inspired by a collapsing wallet my grandmother gave me when I was little, and by my mother's and my favorite Fanny Farmer candy selection called "Nuts, Crisp, and Chewy."

extreme christmas card

2005 Global greeting This was all about the snowglobe animation in the slideshow. The card snowglobe is exactly CD size. We printed the CD labels with the snowglobe picture so the card looked the same with or without the slideshow CD in place.

extreme christmas card

2006 Growing and changing I was feeling melancholy. Several recipients remarked on the relative seriousness of this card. Tutorial for the Reverse Waterfall Card is here.

extreme christmas card

2007 Messy Christmas The hardest part of this card was figuring out how to put the tunnel cards together in a logical sequence, incorporate a greeting, and still have the whole thing thin enough to mail. Tutorial here.

extreme christmas card

2008 Pine & Balsam Combine a balsam pillow and a slicefrom tree. Smells like Christmas spirit! Tutorial for sliceform Christmas tree here.

extreme christmas card

2009 Don't Toss Your Cookies Eat, drink, and be merry! For tomorrow you have to clean the junk off your computer.

extreme christmas card

2010 Noel! Home is wherever you find yourself.

extreme christmas card

2011 Something Shiny! Greetings from the easily distracted.


extreme christmas card

2012 Silhouettes Imagining the Mayan end of the world.

empty_nest_extreme_christmas_card

2013 Empty Nest It's very quiet at our house.


Pin It

Extreme Cards and Papercrafting: pop up cards, movable cards, digital crafts and unusual papercrafts.

Eos Development

11 comments:

Marg said...

What a great gallery. It is always interesting to see how styles change. I did peek at the link to 2008!

Jenni said...

Oh my, just got here via Tip Junkie, and you are amazing! What incredibly creative cards! I'd love to be on your christmas card list!

Cloudscome said...

These are phenomenal! I like this year's the best and can't wait to see 2009.

Grahm Hutton said...

I have no idea how I came across your site, but I absolutely love your cards! Especially the year of the wallet, amazing. Must be so special to get a card from your family!

Anonymous said...

Awesome gallery of humorous cards. I would love to receive something so personal as an end-year greeting.

paperlover said...

I myself am famous for designing a pop up chistmas card... We made 200 and I was 12 at the time. Now, two years later, your stuffinspires me and I look at your site at LEAST once a month. This year we are making a swivel card like the snowglobe one. But not as cool, because I have finals.
I'm even starting a handmade card company!
Keep Up the Best Blog Ever
-Paperlover

Katt said...

These are wonderul. What an inspiration! Every year I pull together a newsletter using Scrapbook Factory but these are individually handmade,wow. I hope the recepients treasure them.

Heidi said...

Oh, I love this post! It must have taken forever to put together. Thanks for sharing it! Your work is always amazing and it is so rare to be able to see how ideas evolve over the years.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

Very cool! Thanks for joining!

Mima said...

Hola,
Awesome Gallery! You are a great inspiration to me. Feliz Natividad!

Athena125 said...

You're my hero. Amazing stuff comes from under your fingers and I can't imagine making 100 such cards myself - I'd be hard pressed for one.